Tuesday 3 January 2017

Newbie P1 Mommy (part 2)

3 years ago, we did the P1 newbie anxious mommy thingy. It was a big milestone for us and S. Watching S go through little things like orientating himself during recess, or making his hesitant way to the hall literally brought tears to our eyes.

3 years on, it is now Little L's turn. Although we are anxious parents no-more, we did have our worries. Indeed L is better at articulating herself. She makes friends easier too. But she is every inch a princess. Delicate (read small-sized), fragile (read thinned-skin), and demure at eating (she clocks 2 hours per meal seating), we were worried about how she would adapt to these aspects in school. But again, whether she was ready or not, school beckoned with its open arms.

The day started off with her all bright, chirpy, eager and excited to go to school. With her spanking new water bottle, bag, uniform and shoes, this Little Chatterbox seemed all set for this new phase of life. She was, in my own proud mama's bias point of view, the epitome of the most adorable P1 student I've ever seen.

Looking back, if the doors of the school bus closing in my face signified the letting-go moment with S, then Little L's moment was when the bag straps were placed onto her tiny shoulders. The added weight made her stagger backwards and she nearly lost her balance. It was literally a new load of responsibility added on to her tiny frame and life.

Once again, I had to struggle to quell my protective instincts from jumping into action to carry her bag. Instead, I let her to do it herself. She managed soon after.

And that was when I realised my 小不点 has grown up.

We did the same thing, trailing behind her bus and watching her make her way to the hall. We are thankful that she doesn't feel like a stranger to her school for when Big Brother had school functions, we often brought her along for the exposure. And now, carrying those experiences with her, she seems to acclimatise to Primary school life with relative ease.

As she sets foot onto this new phase of life, there is so much in store to uncover. I shall look forward to growing with her on this journey and watching how my little baby girl progresses.


~~~~~~  On a side note:

"I went to the toilet by myself today. My friend said I'll race you there, so I followed her."


The start of the female groupie toilet-going culture. I never hear S tell me about going to the toilet with his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment